Hello everyone! This week starts up a new series in my Blog, Meal Plan Monday!
Every week, on an ongoing basis, I will be posting 5-7 recipes from myself and others for the week ahead. I know I could use some ideas for the repetitive rotation of meals in our household, and maybe some of you are the same? I hope to provide some delicious recipes for you to try and share!
Meals here suit 2-4 people, possibly more if indicated.
Feel free to tag me in your photos of you cooking with these recipes using #cookingwithMPM and by tagging my social media.
So, onward to planning! Click on the links below to find the recipes and enjoy planning your dinners this week! Subscribe for email updates to get the links to these recipes straight in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means I earn commissions from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure policy for details.
Monday: Simple Schnitzel in Mushroom Sauce
Tuesday: Pasta Bolognese with Roasted Capsicum
Wednesday:Crunchy Panko Polenta Fish Fingers from Kidgredients
Thursday: Slow Cooker Veggies and Beef
Friday: French Toast Sandwiches
Saturday: Chicken Drumsticks/Wings and Polenta
Sunday: Lasagna from Kidgredients
If you want to have some more ideas, check out Week #2
Recipes from above by Mummy Confessions:
Simple Schnitzel in Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients: 1 chicken breast per person (give or take)
1-2eggs (depending on number of chicken breasts)
Optional Vegeta Gourmet Stock or salt
1. Cut chicken into fillets
2. Mix eggs in bowl nicely and place breadcrumbs into another bowl.
3. If using Vegeta or salt, mix in with breadcrumbs if desired.
4. Dip fillets in egg, then dip in breadcrumbs until all of the chicken is covered.
5. Pan fry until golden brown.
If you don’t want to do the following, you don’t have to…but I prepare this Mushroom Sauce and serve over top, or with rice and the mushroom sauce over top.
Leftovers: You can refrigerate and use the schnitzel for sandwiches the next day, or in a salad!
Pureed Cooked Chicken & Pureed corn
from Momtastic Wholesome Baby Food
Toddler/Preschooler meal: Chicken Schnitzel pieces with rice (and Mushroom sauce)
Cut Schnitzel into pieces for easier eating or fry up smaller pieces of schnitzel for the younger ones (sort of like chicken nuggets)
French Toast Sandwiches
Ingredients: Sliced Bread
Fillings for Sandwiches (we use ham &cheese)
Tomato Soup (optional)
- Whisk eggs and milk together to make dip.
- Dip pieces of sliced bread on either side, coating bread.
- Lightly Toast the bread on either side in a pan.
- Add fillings (Ham & Cheese for us) into the sandwich and finish toasting until nicely browned on either side and cheese is nicely melted.
Serve with veggies or tomato soup.Baby Meal: Scrambled Eggs
from Momtastic Wholesome Baby Food
Toddler/Preschooler Meal: Like above, just cut into squares, triangles, or use a cookie cutter and make fun shapes.
Chicken Drumsticks/Wings and Polenta
Ingredients: Chicken Drumsticks or Wings (we usually have 6-8 drumsticks and 10-15 wings depending on the size)
Favourite Marinade or Seasoning (mine is Masterfoods Honey, Soy & Garlic or McCormick’s Season All)
1. Marinate chicken (if you can do this for a few hours or overnight, it tastes even better, but I usually don’t have too much forethought and just mix it at the time before)
2. If desired, pan fry chicken to get golden brown on the outside.
3. Place chicken and pan contents into oven-appropriate dish and cover.
4. Cook at 200 Celcius for 40 minutes or more, until chicken is cooked nicely.
5. Boil water while chicken is cooking.
6. Add polenta according to instructions on pack, stirring or whisking continuously until polenta thickens. (We do about 1 Cup Polenta and 4-5 Cups of water as a ratio.)
7. Continue to stir or whisk occasionally, cooking polenta for about 30 minutes or so. Polenta is not crunchy when cooked.
8. When polenta is finished cooking, pour into a bowl or onto a large,flat plat for serving.
Leftovers: Chicken Drumsticks/Wings can be refridgerated and reheated properly again the next day, and so can the polenta, but in my opinion, it does lose some flavour (and I prefer eating the wings cold the next day rather than heating them up).
Baby Meal: Pureed Cooked Chicken & Pureed Peas
From Momtastic Wholesome Baby Food
Toddler/Preschooler Meal: Unseasoned/Lightly Seasoned Drumsticks and for the younger ones, I pull the meat off the bone. Polenta served on the side separately.
Slow Cooker What-Veggies-I-Have-And-Beef Meal
Ingredients: Whatever vegetables you want to mix
I used (2-3) potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 red capsicum, 1/2 Cup peas, 1/2 Cup corn, and 1/2 an onion
250-500g beef (depending on how meaty you like it)
2 beef stock cubes
1 pack French onion soup mix (only if no onion available)
Vegeta Gourmet Stock or salt to taste (at end for adults)
1/2 Cup Red Wine if desired
1. Peel potatoes & carrots and chop to desired size (I usually cut all vegetables pretty small, so my toddlers have no issues eating them).
2. Chop up capsicum and onion as well to desired size.
3. Dissolve the two beef stock cubes into two cups of boiling water.
4. Cut up beef as small as you want (I like mine cubed) .
5. If desired, pan fry beef until nicely brown.
6. Add everything into the slow cooker, add more water if necessary (food should be half covered with water) and stir. Add wine if desired.
7. Cook on high for 5-7 hours or until veggies are to your liking.
8. Remove portions of food for younger kids without seasoning. Add Vegeta or salt to taste for adults.
9. Serve with/over rice, with bread, pasta, or mashed potato.
Leftovers: Can be refrigerated and eaten next day. Or use leftovers in Puff Pastry Delight
Baby Meal: Beef purée and puréed carrot
from Momtastic Wholesome Baby Food
Toddler/Preschooler meal: Unsalted/unseasoned Slow Cooker meal with rice/pasta/mashed potatoes.
Pasta Bolognese with Roasted Capsicum
Ingredients: Pasta (we love spirals)
500g Beef Mince (Ground Beef)
1-2 Capsicums (Red Bell Pepper)
1-2 Carrots, grated
1/2-1 Onion, finely chopped
1-2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (or you can boil tomatoes and do it yourself as well)
Bay leaves, Basil and/or Oregano (optional)
Vegeta Gourmet Stock or salt to taste
Cheese on top if desired.
- Cut capsicums in half, and remove seeds & place cut portion down facing aluminium foil and bake in oven at 150-175 Celsius until nicely roasted for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Grate carrots and chop onion, and pan fry or cook in pot until onion is nicely browned.
- Cook beef mince until nicely browned (I tend to even over-brown it just to be sure).
- Once Capsicum is nicely roasted, peel skin off and chop up into smaller pieces and add to bolognese mix
- Put all of the cooked ingredients into a big pot.
- Boil water for pasta. Put in pasta. Drain when nicely cooked.
- Add the diced tomato and mix everything together, putting put to simmer. Add spices if desired.
- Portion out for toddler/preschoolers without adding salt or Vegeta. Add salt or Vegeta to taste.
- Serve either with bolognese on top of pasta (keeping separate), or mix entire bolognese sauce through the pasta.
- Serve with cheese on top if desired.
Leftovers: Can be refrigerated and stored for eating the next day, or you can use the Bolognese later in a Lasagna or in a Puff Pastry Delight Dish.
Baby Meal: Pureed Pasta or Pureed Cooked Chicken from Momtastic Wholesome Baby Food
Toddler/Preschooler Meal: As made for adults, just no salt or seasoning added. Possibly need to cut up pasta, depending on the size.
6 thoughts on “Mealplan Monday: Week #1”
I’m starving as I type this and this post has made me starving! Some great ideas here! Thanks so much for linking up to #TriumphantTales – hope to see you again on Tuesday!
I love the Schnitzel recipe! Can you tell I have a jewish heritage? hahah! This sounds like a really good series and I cant wait to see the next few posts you have lined up!
Thank you for linking up to #TriumphantTales. I hope to see you back next week!
I’m glad you like it! I love it with the mushroom sauce, especially! I am very excited about this series, too! I need to get myself and my family out of a constant rotation of meals and throw some new ideas in there! And hopefully I can remember to join in, as I can’t seem to keep track of the days lately ?